Bad days. We’ve all had them. Maybe you just finished a ton of tedious work and your boss decides that’s the best time to give you five more piles of said tedious work to do. Maybe your favorite reality show, the one where housewives and/or fake celebrities are always yelling at each other, just got cancelled and you don’t know what you’re going to do for entertainment. Maybe you just completely disappointed someone (or a group of people) you really care about and feel like a big, fat failure.
It happens. To all of us. But luckily there are things you can do to make your bad day just a little bit brighter. Here are some things that might help. Well, I know they would probably help me.
- Pretend Retail Therapy: This is where you go online or and look at stuff that you really, really like but don’t actually buy them because 1) You can’t afford it or 2) It’s not a complete necessity. This often helps me because as a SAHM I have very little (if any) disposable income and seeing pretty stuff that I like makes me happy.
- Write it Down: Anything you’re currently feeling – jot it down in a notebook, send an email to yourself about it, or even blog about it (if you feel comfortable sharing it with the world). Seeing it in print can sometimes help you better understand how you’re feeling.
- Talk to Someone: Yes. Talk. To. Someone. Actually having another person listen to you is very therapeutic. Let them know that you don’t expect them to come up with a solution to how you’re feeling. Just having someone really pay attention to what you’re saying can do wonders.
- Cinematic Therapy: Watching one of your favorite movies or an episode from one of your favorite television shows might just be the pick me up you need. Some of my favorites for this type of therapy include episodes from Friends and Gilmore Girls and the movies You’ve Got Mail, The Princess Bride, and Love Actually.
- Comfort Food: Whatever your favorite comfort food is, make it (or buy it) and completely savor it. Don’t rush through eating eat. Slow down. Really take the time to taste it.
Everyone has their own way of dealing with bad days. I hope, when you come across a bad day, you won’t let it get the best of you. I know that might be a hard thing to do. To be totally honest with you, I am completely guilty of letting bad days get the best of me. But I do eventually get over them. Because there is always something to look forward to, something to hope for.
How do you deal with a bad day?