Sometimes I think I’m pretty good at the whole parenting thing. I sing Five Little Monkeys twenty zillion times a day. I play picnic on our living room floor. I read Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See before nap time for 37 days straight.
And then there are times when I feel like I’ve failed as a parent.
Like when I realized too late that my youngest decided to reveal her inner artist all over our couch.
Were there ever times you felt like you failed as a parent?
No Bake Cereal Oat Bars adapted from Rachel Ray
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons cup honey
¾ cups Honey Nut Cheerios
¾ cups rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
¼ cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped (optional)
¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar with the honey and butter.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, then lower the heat to medium-low and simmer until the sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Add the Honey Nut Cheerios, rice cereal, rolled oats, and macadamia nuts to the saucepan and fold the ingredients to evenly coat with the sauce.
- Transfer the mixture to an 8×8-inch ungreased baking pan and press firmly to evenly fill. Gently press the chocolate chips onto the top of the granola.
- Let the granola mixture set in the refrigerator until firm, about 15 minutes, then cut into bars.